When you rent a self-storage unit, it can feel like an intimidating prospect. After all, the idea of filling up a large space with your belongings — and dealing with the security of those items over time — can be quite daunting. However, if you plan ahead and make use of the features that most self-storage units offer, you can make the most of your rental space.
- First, it’s important to be as organized as possible before you even begin loading up your unit. Take some time to come up with a plan for each item you plan on storing; decide what items will go in which boxes, and carefully label those boxes so that you know exactly what’s contained within them. This will make it much easier to find the items you need when you need them. It can also help to keep a list of what is in each box, just in case you forget later on down the line.
- When packing up your storage unit, think about how long you plan to keep certain items in the unit and make sure that those items are placed in easily accessible locations. It might be a good idea to leave some space around those items so they can be moved out quickly should you need them. And don’t forget to stack boxes and other heavy items near the back of the unit — this will help prevent them from falling over when you open the door.
- Speaking of opening the door, it's important to be aware of the security measures that are in place at your self-storage unit facility. Many facilities offer an array of options — from video surveillance to keypad entry systems — so make sure you understand your unit's security and how to use it properly.
- It’s also important to take preventative measures when storing items in your self-storage unit. Make sure that all of your boxes and furniture are sealed tightly so that moisture or pests do not enter the unit, and consider using fabric covers on furniture pieces to protect against dust and dirt. You may also want to invest in a dehumidifier or air-conditioning unit if you plan on keeping items in the unit for an extended period of time.
- Finally, remember that self-storage units are great for long-term storage solutions — but they can also come in handy when you’re facing a short-term storage need. If you’re renovating a home, for instance, or if you just need extra space while relocating, self-storage units can provide a convenient and secure solution.
By following these tips, you can make the most of your self-storage unit rental and ensure that your belongings are safe and secure in the long run. With a bit of planning and an understanding of the features that come with your unit, you can make sure that your storage needs are met and use the space to its fullest potential.
For more information, please contact us at:
Rt 34B Self Storage LLC
974 Peruville rd. Rt 34b
Groton, NY 13073